The School Psychologist
A newsletter of Division 16
April 2013 | Vol. 67, No. 2
Featured ArticleRon Avi Astor, PhD, Dewey G. Cornell, PhD, Dorothy L. Espelage, PhD, Michael J. Furlong, PhD, Shane R. Jimerson, Matthew J. Mayer, PhD, Amanda B. Nickerson , PhD, David Osher, PhD, and George Sugai, PhD
- Moving forward for children and adolescents: The Division 16 2013 agenda
The plan is to continue the strategic plan developed several years ago to advance science, practice, and policy for school psychology.
By Vincent C. Alfonso
Executive Committee Election
- Nominees for Division 16 council representative
Meet the nominees for Div. 16 council representative.
By Tammy L. Hughes, PhD, and Bonnie Kaul Nastasi, PhD
- Nominee for Division 16 vice president of education, training and scientific affairs
Meet the nominee for Div. 16 vice president of education, training and scientific affairs.
By Catherine A. Fiorello, PhD
- Nominee for Division 16 president
Meet the nominee for Div. 16 president.
By James C. DiPerna, PhD
- Nominees for Division 16 treasurer
Meet the nominees for Div. 16 treasurer.
By Mark D. Terjesen, PhD, and Shirley A. Vickery, PhD
- A missing piece in the investigation of anti-bullying efforts within schools: The role of ethnicity
Bullying may include direct forms of aggression such as racial taunts and slurs and indirect forms of aggression, such as exclusion from a mainstream group of peers.
By Stephanie Grunewald
- ABPP board certification in school psychology
The value of achieving ABPP certification in school psychology is discussed.
By Michael E. Tansy
- 2013 Division 16 convention update
The APA convention includes 35 hours of sessions specific to school psychology.
By Shannon Suldo
- APA council representatives' report to Division 16: Feb. 21-24, 2013
Learn about issues and actions affecting practitioners and academics.
By Beth Doll, PhD, and Frank C. Worrell, PhD
- Contributing to the future of school psychology
The Executive Committee seeks members to join a committee or run for an elected position in the division or APA.
By Shane R. Jimerson
- School Based Microaggressions: Implications for Socially Just School Psychology Practice
Microaggressions communicate hostile, derogatory or negative messages to target persons, based on their group membership.
By Jennifer Durham-Fowler
- Work-life balance in academic careers
Work-life balance issues are salient for early career scholars.
By Bryn Harris and Amanda L. Sullivan
- Beyond the classroom: Extracurricular training for graduate students
Excellent opportunities that lie outside academic programs often go unnoticed.
By Jennifer M. Cooper and David O. L. Cheng
- People and places
Read about what Div. 16 members are doing.
- Call for nominations
American Academy of School Psychology scholarships are available for doctoral students; apply by May 15, 2013.
- Call for proposals: Diversity challenge
Proposals were sought for the Institute for the Study and Promotion of Race and Culture's annual Diversity Challenge.
- Journal of School Psychology editor position announcement
The Society for the Study of School Psychology seeks an editor-elect of the Journal of School Psychology.
- The Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence
The Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence seeks three postdoctoral associates to begin on or before July 1, 2013.