Careers in Military Psychology
This information was consolidated with the intention of providing a synopsis of the types of career paths that may be available to individuals interested in Military Psychology. While the information below will provide a range of websites and organizations to explore, this is not a comprehensive list of career paths available to military psychologists.
For more information, the following sources are also recommended:
- Dunivin, D.L. and Ingram, M.V. (2007). Military Psychology: A Dynamic and Practical Application of Psychological Expertise. In Robert J. Sternberg (Ed.), Career paths in Psychology: Where your degree can take you. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Law, B.M. (2011). Service, in plain clothes. In GradPSYCH Magazine, 9(1).
- Wiskoff, M.F. (1997). Defense of the Nation: Military Psychologists. In Robert J. Sternberg (Ed.), Career paths in Psychology: Where your degree can take you. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
Range of Opportunities and Typical Careers
- Clinical Psychologists — Active, Guard, Reserve, Civilian (direct employment with DoD, contract appointment with DoD, or off-base service to DoD personnel)
- Research Psychologists — Government Civilians
- Research Psychologists — Government Contractors
Typical Work Settings for Military Psychologists
- Research Facilities
- Educational Facilities
- Medical Centers, Hospitals, & Clinics
- Major hospitals and smaller clinics, personnel often change location every two-three years.
- Military Schools and Bases
- Located at service training schools' military bases in the U.S.
- Military Deployments Overseas
- Military overseas bases and small missions; combat zones; military hospitals.
- Military Organization Offices
- The Pentagon; Service Headquarters Commands.
Major Military Organizations Supporting Psychological Research and Clinical Practices
Department of Defense
- U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences
- U.S. Army Research Laboratory Human Research and Engineering Directorate
- U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine
- Walter Reed Army Institute of Research
- U.S. Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory
- U.S. Army Soldier Support Center
- Army Medical Department and School
- Army Special Operations Center
- Army Medical Department Psychology
- Military Operational Medicine Research Program
- Naval Medical Research Center
- Naval Medical Research Laboratory – Dayton
- Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division
- Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division
- Navy Command, Control and Ocean Surveillance Center
- Naval Health Research Center
- Naval Personnel Research and Development Center
- Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory
- Office of Naval Research
- Medical Services Corp
- Navy Aerospace Experimental Psychology
- Naval Postgraduate School Monterey, CA