Psychopharmacology and Substance Abuse Newsletter
A newsletter of Division 28
November 2013 |Vol. 46, No. 3
From the President’s DeskAnthony Liguori, PhD
2013 activities included the inaugural Collaborative Perspectives on Addiction conference and fostering membership growth.
- 2014 APA Div. 28 convention programming
The 2014 APA convention call for proposals and link to the online submission system for symposias, papers, abstracts is available.
By Ellen Walker, PhD, and Richard Allen, PhD
- 121st APA convention, Div. 28 program highlights
Attendees were able to attend symposia and paper sessions, earning CE/CEU credits, while learning about a wide array of research in substance abuse.
By Kathryn Saulsgiver
In this issue
- APA Div. 28 awards for 2014
Nominations are requested for the 2014 MED Associates Brady-Schuster Award, Outstanding Dissertation Award and the Young Psychopharmacologist Award.
By Sharon Walsh, PhD
- Announcement of 2013 Div. 28 fellows
The APA Council of Representatives at the August APA convention elected the individuals to initial fellow status in Div. 28 effective September 2013.
By Stephen J. Heishman, PhD
- Effect of government shutdown on grants and impending threats from sequestration
More than 200 NIH review committees were canceled and more than 11,000 proposals were affected by the government shutdown.
By Kelly Dunn, PhD
- Self care for graduate students
Balancing the demands of work and life will make you healthier, happier and more productive.
By Alexa Lopez
- The Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
The Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit is seeking candidates for scientific director.
- Conducting science in the time of the Internet
The Internet abounds with tools for scientists including ResearchGate and Google Scholar.
By Diann Gaalema, PhD, and Adriana Falco, PhD
- Announcement of new center and training opportunities
Information about the training program and instructions for applying.
- Introduction to incoming newsletter editor
Mikhail Koffarnus, PhD is the the incoming newsletter editor for 2014-16.
By Kelly Dunn, PhD