In this issue

Midwinter meeting minutes

Highlights from the division executive committee meeting.

By Amy Damashek

Collaborative Activities

2015 CODAPAR Grant

Mary Ann has taken the lead on a 2015 Committee on Division-APA Relations (CODAPAR) grant, entitled, “Enhanced Web Presence for Scientifically-based Information on Children and Families,” that will involve all of the division webmasters. Div. 37 is in the lead. It is a collaboration with all seven child and family divisions to develop a central resource for professionals and the public about parenting. The website will contain links to vetted sites, rather than creating new materials. They will use search word optimization so that it will come up in a Web search. Mary Ann will recruit topics and writers (possible early career psychologist opportunity). There will be an opportunity for the public to email us questions, but we won't have any responses to the blog. The maintenance of the website will be shared across all seven divisions; the responsibilities can be rotated. They will be looking for suggestions for topics. The Children's Mental Health Planning Summit planning group agreed to devote the full amount of the summit to the project. The project will start after the midwinter meeting. They will start looking at Web designers and Web samples and getting bids. The site will be tested over several months, and they plan to have it up and running in the spring. The website will not be related to APA and is not an APA product. An outside contractor will set up the site. The CDC is a partner and is being represented by Jennifer Kaminski.

Institute of Medicine Forum on Promoting Children's Cognitive, Affective, and Behavioral Health

Recommendations from the National Academy of Sciences' report on prevention led to a forum on promoting children's cognitive, affective, and behavioral health. The Institute of Medicine Forum ( IOM) is meant to advise policy makers on what science has to offer. Sponsors of the forum include APA, the Board of Pediatrics and many federal agencies (including National Institute of Drug Abuse, National Institute of Justice, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration). Divs. 37 and 54 shared a sponsorship, and Mary Ann is representing both divisions. The forum is on its second year, and it's a three-year forum. The forum is designed to bring together people with disparate interests. Three workshops have been held, including one on prevention and one on measurement. The next workshop will be on the Affordable Care Act and sustaining funding for programs. Mary Ann has been chairing a collaborative on the Affordable Care Act and is chairing the next workshop that will be webcast. It will be titled “Health Care Reform” and will include panels with moderated questions. 

2014 CODAPAR Grant

Sharon updated us on the 2014 CODAPAR grant, titled, “Psychological Science and Innovative Care Strategies: Informing Health Care Redesign and Improving Care for Youth.” It was a collaboration with Divs. 53 and 54 that focused on how integrated care affects practice.

Interdivisional Taskforce on Physical Punishment, Cindy Miller-Perrin

Cindy is co-chairing the Interdivisional Taskforce on Physical Punishment with Gayle Goodman (past president of Div. 7). The purpose is to update the Div. 37 literature review from the previous taskforce on physical discipline of children and make a recommendation about a possible resolution for APA. The taskforce also created a statement on physical punishment in response to the Adrian Peterson case, and we posted it on our website, as did Div. 7. People on the taskforce have also published editorials and appeared on news shows. The taskforce also submitted a collaborative program to APA that was accepted. The symposium will focus on changing attitudes about and use of spanking cross contexts and cultures. The main idea is going to be to discuss different intervention strategies to reduce parents' use of spanking at the individual and community level. Speakers will discuss the role of religion in reducing spanking, effective cross cultural approaches and hospital-based interventions.

The taskforce has been collaborating with Laruen Fasig from Children, Youth, and Families, who has obtained funding for an APA-sponsored roundtable on physical punishment. Cindy and Gayle are on the planning committee; they would like to include people from the taskforce and other people who represent different constituencies within APA. The purpose of the roundtable is to educate people on the topic of physical discipline and the barriers to ending spanking.

Awards

Hobbs Award: The board voted to present the award to Sandra Graham –Berman, PhD, of the University of Michigan.

Advocacy Award: The board voted to present the Advocacy Award to Donald Hernandez, PhD, of Hunter College.

Treasurer's Report and Membership

The division looked into finding other investment options that might save money, but we weren't eligible because we are an organization. We decided to stay with Ameriprise. We voted on and passed a budget for 2015.

Early Career Psychologist Member at Large – Paula Fite

The early career psychologist (ECP) convention social hour was well-attended by about 20 people. The ECP resource link is on the website and includes information about how to get licensure, teaching tips, etc. People have reported that it's helpful.

A member of the ECP committee, Cindy Najdowski, attended the APA leadership conference. She said that it was an amazing opportunity. She received training on federal advocacy work and went to Capitol Hill. Cindy suggested that we continue to send people to this conference. She wrote a letter to the board indicating how much she enjoyed the conference.

Current initiatives of the committee are focusing on recruitment and retention of ECP members to the division. The committee will send out a letter of invitation on Listservs and to internship programs and other agencies. The committee also hopes to use social media also to recruit more participants.

Awards: Two new ECP awards were discussed. The board agreed to begin providing the new awards, which include a service award that would provide the awardee with $1,000 and a research award that would provide the awardee with $500 to complete a research project.

Liaisons and Taskforces

  • The Ethnic Minority Research Taskforce has collected data regarding current and best practices for children of color. They are currently analyzing the data.
  • The Taskforce on Youth in Transition presented a symposium at the APA convention and are writing an article for The Counseling Psychologist based on data from their project, which focuses on how college counselors can help young adults who have been in the foster care system.
  • Committee on International Relations in Psychology (CIRP): Mirian Ofonedu is our CIRP representative and is interested in representing the division on the interdivisional task force on Rwandan girls.
  • Committee on Children, Youth, and Families: The committee has two new awards. The spring newsletter will be on resilience; they have sent out a call asking people to write about resilience.  

Advocacy Member at Large, Sangeeta Parikshak

Sangeeta spoke with our previous member at large for advocacy, Cindy Miller Perrin, about past efforts. Several ideas for activities for a new advocacy committee were discussed.

Grad Student Representative – Adam Miller

Several members of the student board will be rotating off in 2015, and they will be having an election. They will need help reaching out to students who we know to get people to run for office. The students had a social hour with Divs. 53 and 54 at the convention. They are planning a mentoring breakfast for the convention in 2015 as well as another joint social hour. They also hosted a webinar led by Rebecca Kanine and Angela Tunno with panelists talking about their experience in policy in the fall of 2014.

Social media: The student board revised their social media policy for review by the Div. 37 board. The board decided that Facebook should be used for dissemination of information only at this point, rather than hosting a discussion page. The board also agreed that we will have an ECP play a mentoring role for the students in their administration of the Facebook page.

Student research award: The student board proposed the idea of a new student research award. The board indicated approval for the amount of $500 for a research h award designed to help students conduct a research project.

Meeting with APA Government Relations

The division board was joined by Div. 43 officers Kristi Gordon (president) and Galena Rhoades (vice president for science). We met with Judith Glasgow, Cynthia Malley (legislative assistant), Amalia Corby Edwards from APA Public Interest Government Relations Office. Judith Glassgold explained that the Public Interest Government Relations Office is a nonprofit section of APA that focuses on issues of public welfare and public interest that affect the lives of many people. She reported that Congress has not been very productive in the past few years because the partisan divide has become more rigid.

Some topic areas that the Public Interest Government Relations Office is working on include the following:

  • Trafficking (runaways and homelessness, Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act).
  • Suicide prevention.
  • The Juvenile Justice Delinquency Prevention Act.
  • Maternal infant home visiting programs.
  • Child care and early learning.
  • CAPTA reauthorization.
  • Medically accurate sex education.
  • TANF and CHIP appropriations.
  • Paid family medical leave.
  • Interrupting the school to prison pipeline.
  • Elementary and Secondary Education Act (focuses on bullying prevention, suicide prevention, ethnic minority youth and racial and ethnic violence).
  • Campus sexual violence (Teach Safe Relationships Act).
  • Funding for postpartum depression treatment and depression screening for pregnant women.

Judith noted that we should let her know if we know of areas that we think there is a need for more research; APA can reach out to Congress. We discussed the idea of the division getting some advocacy training from APA Government Relations the next time the convention is in D.C. Cynthia noted that there are new advocacy resources are on the website, a federal advocacy guide. It's a continuing education six-part series. Judith that we should let them know if we think our research is important to them. 

Section on Child Maltreatment – Penny Trickett

The section board has a midwinter conference call scheduled for Feb. 24. One of the section's main concerns is related to declining membership; they are going to try to increase their efforts to get new members. One problem is that you can't pay your dues for the section when you're renewing online. You can pay your section dues online, but it has to be done separately from the division.

The section was given a two-hour symposium at APA – the topic will be the recent Institute of Medicine report on the future directions for child abuse and neglect research. Ann Peterson who chaired that panel will be in charge of the symposium. The panel is scheduled for Sunday morning.

Barry Anton's Presidential Summit on Global Approaches to Primary Care

This is an international and interdisciplinary summit that will be streamed on the Web internationally so that countries who are doing integrated care can learn from one another. Mary Ann received a letter to ask for support. The division decided to support this summit with a small financial contribution.

Changes to the Bylaws

The division's officer's manual includes an Awards Committee that is composed of the three past presidents. This committee has not been active. The past president has been taking the lead in executing the duties of the Awards Committee in recent years. There is also a Nominations Committee that is supposed to be composed of the three past presidents to generate officer nominations. It was suggested that the awards and nominations committees be reinvigorated but change the bylaws so that the president elect is the second member. The committees would be composed of the president-elect, past president and a member of the board who is appointed by the president. The board passed a motion to make changes to the composition of the awards committee and the nominations committee to include the president-elect, and member of the executive committee to be appointed by the president. These changes would involve changes to the bylaws and must be voted on by the membership. Amy will send it to the membership to vote on.

We discussed the fact that, according to the officer's manual, the section president is not considered a part of the board and therefore cannot vote on board decisions. We voted on and passed a motion that the section president be a member of the division board. Since this requires a change to the bylaws, a vote by the membership is required. Amy Damashek will send it out for a vote via email.

APA Program – Sandra Barrueco, Program Co-chair

Div. 37 is co listed on seven cross divisional/collaborative postings. APA has moved to a new model in which it has reallocated division hours to do more cross-divisional programming.

There were just enough hours to provide space for everyone who was accepted; we had an hour donated by Div 54. If you're planning on doing any collaborative programming, submit materials by Oct. 1 if you can.

We discussed whether it would be worthwhile for the division to reserve a hospitality suite at the convention. We previously discontinued it because of finances, but we used to use it for executive meetings, etc. There was a concern raised about not using the suite enough and that it can be a problem when the convention hotels are far away from the convention center. It was also noted that there aren't a lot of students and ECP's going to the convention in Toronto and that maybe we should wait until next year. We decided not to pursue one for 2015 but to consider it for the 2016 convention. Cindy will follow up with this.

We decided to make a printed copy of our programming to place at the Division Services booth at the convention.

Fellows Chair Report – Bette Bottoms

The Fellows Committee includes Sue Limber and Dan Dodge. The assistant is Christian Ruiz. The committee engaged in more outreach this year to seek nominations; a call for nominations was placed in The Advocate and on the Listserv. Bette sent the board a list of current division members to us at APA meeting, and we indicated who should be considered for fellow status. Bette then sent specific letters to nominate specific people; this procedure brought in a number of applications. Bette also sent letters to every Div 37 member who is already a fellow in another division. Applicants who are not already fellows in any APA division have to be reviewed by the division and the APA Fellows Committee. There were four new applications, and Bette sent their nomination materials to the APA committee to be considered. Applicants who are already fellows in other divisions only have to be reviewed by the division's committee. There were eight applicants were already fellows in other divisions who were granted fellow status; Mary Ann McCabe, Preston Britner, Cathy Widom, John Lutzker, Jodi Quas, Marc Atkins, Mark Reinecke and Penelope Trickett.

The board discussed ways to engage the fellows from the division and get them involved with students and ECPs. It was noted that fellows can help to encourage their students to consider running for office on our student board.

Joint Meeting with Div. 43

The division held a joint meeting with the Div. 43 Executive Committee. We discussed the activities of the divisions and how we could potentially collaborate. Div. 43 is working within a number of areas, including the following: bringing family therapy issues to the Board of Professional Affairs; identify doctoral, internship and postdoctoral programs that offer training in couples and family therapy; increasing the availability of funding available for research on family therapy; promoting a family focused approach to rehabilitating adult offenders; and building and strengthening bridges between child and family divisions.

Div. 37 Board members discussed relevant division activities, including the: 2015 CODAPAR grant; taskforce on physical punishment; Taskforce on Mental Health Concerns for Children and Youth of Color.

The boards discussed way in which we could collaborate. Div. 43 noted that they could benefit from our advocacy experience and would like more information about how Div. 37 advocacy activities might benefit Div. 43. Sangeeta volunteered to write a description of our advocacy activities. Mary Ann suggested that we work on getting a liaison between the two divisions.

Editor of Advances in Child and Family Policy and Practice – Barbara Fiese

Our editor, Barbara Fiese, explained that the first two issues of Advances have gone to press and should be out soon. There will be two-page briefing sheets for dissemination that are labeled “executive summary” and are at the front of the publication. An issue on school corporal punishment will be coming out soon, and Elizabeth Gershoff will write an op ed to with it. Another issue on children's contact with incarcerated parents will also be coming out very soon. Barbara will work with the author on dissemination.

Other topics that are in process include: implementation science and children's mental health; school programs to support positive youth development; and family homelessness (written by Mary Haskett). We discussed ways to disseminate Advances, especially to targeted audiences.

The Advocate Editor– Jonathan Martinez

Jonathan is our new editor and met with our previous editor (Julie Cohen) to get an orientation. Jonathan has been thinking about how to use social media to disseminate The Advocate. Mary Ann suggested call out box for The Advocate that includes things like awards and information about our presences on Twitter and Facebook.