New Century Book Prize Competition
Div. 39 and APA Books co-sponsor the New Century Book Prize for a book by a psychoanalytic author. This award competition is offered every other year, alternating with the Johanna K. Tabin Book Prize. The winner receives a certificate of recognition, a book contract with APA Books, and a $1,000 cash advance on royalties. The competition is open to any Div. 39 member interested in publishing a psychoanalytic book. Prize criterion include good writing and originality, as well as clinical and scholarly relevance. The proposed book should promise to be an original and coherent monograph. Edited collections of previously published papers are not acceptable, nor are edited volumes of contributions by more than one author. Simultaneous submissions to other publishers will disqualify the entry.
The competition is open to any Div. 39 member interested in publishing a psychoanalytic book.
The proposal should consist of:
- A cover letter to include the author’s identifying and contact information and division membership information.
- A full CV.
- A statement of sufficient length to describe the mission, scope and potential contribution of the project to psychoanalysis.
- An annotated table of contents.
- One, and only one, sample chapter.
- There must be no identifying information concerning the author in #3 through #5 (i.e., the statement of mission, etc.; table of contents; and sample chapter).
Submissions are accepted as separate attachments in, Word, rich text only or similar format. Blind review evaluations are conducted by the Book Proposal Committee, the editor of APA Books and an honorary judge.
All submissions for the 2017 New Century Award must be submitted to Ruth Helein, division administrator. Please use subject line: New Century Book Prize Competition.
Questions should be addressed to: Bill MacGillivray.