Committee on Bisexual Issues Student Travel Award
The purpose of the Committee on Bisexual Issues Student Travel Award is to support graduate student engagement with LGBTQ psychology by defraying travel costs to the APA Annual Convention. Through this award, the Committee on Bisexual Issues also hopes to encourage LGBTQ graduate student participation in the Div. 44 annual convention activities (e.g., the Committee on Bisexual Issues discussion hour and other programming in the hospitality suite).
Graduate students who are eligible to apply:
- Self-identify as LGBTQ/sexual or gender minority.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to LGBTQ issues.
- Plan to attend the 2017 APA Annual Convention.
- Will be enrolled as graduate students at the time of the 2017 convention.
Students who identify as bisexual and or engage in scholarship about bisexuality are especially encouraged to apply. Additionally, LGBTQ students who are presenting at the convention are also especially encouraged to apply, though all applications will be considered. One student travel award in the amount of $500 will be granted.
Annual deadline: March 30
The following materials must be submitted electronically to committee co-chair Chris Davids by the deadline above:
- Personal statement — Please submit a personal statement (500-800 words) that addresses each of the following questions:
- In what ways does your graduate program benefit from your self-identification and involvement as an LGBTQ/sexual or gender minority person? How does APA benefit from your participation in professional activities as an LGBTQ/sexual or gender minority person?
- What unique challenges might LGBTQ/sexual or gender minority graduate students such as yourself face that may hinder participation in APA/convention?
- How would participating the APA Annual Convention further your career goals?
- Are you presenting at the APA Annual Convention? If so, how will it contribute to the body of contributions?
- Curriculum vitae.
- Letter of recommendation — Please have a faculty member electronically submit a letter in support of you receiving the Div. 44 Committee on Bisexual Issues Student Travel Award to Chris Davids. Faculty members are asked to address the applicant's commitment to LGBTQ issues in academic and other domains, address the potential benefits of attending convention for the student and confirm that they are a current graduate student in psychology.
- Application form (PDF, 35KB).
Inquiries about the award may be directed to the committee co-chairs, Chris Davids or Laurel Watson.