Div. 1 Mission Statement and Goals
Approved March 2015, rev. Feb. 2017.
Div. 1 (The Society for General Psychology) promotes the creation of coherence among psychology's diverse specialties by encouraging members to incorporate multiple perspectives from psychology's sub-disciplines into their research, theory and practice. Div. 1 welcomes membership from students of psychology, academics, researchers, professional practitioners and public interest psychologists.
The goals of Div. 1 (Society for General Psychology) are to:
- Promote awareness of general psychology as an integrative approach to the field of psychology.
- Advocate for connection and coherence among psychology’s diverse specialties.
- Provide opportunities for integration of multiple perspectives in education, research, practice and psychology in the public interest.
- Recognize excellence in general psychology and in the integration of multiple perspectives.
- Provide networking opportunities to support integrative activity for psychological scientists, practitioners, educators, theorists, historians, public policy advocates and students of psychology.
- Support the development of the next generation of general psychologists.
- Collaborate and cooperate with other APA divisions to develop programs and projects designed to integrate multiple concepts, perspectives and theories.