'Progress is impossible without change.' – George Bernard Shaw
In this Issue
- Div. 18 VA Section chair-elect
As VA Section chair, I will serve as your representative. I also want to serve as a resource to you.
By Gayle Y. Iwamasa, PhD
- VA Section ECP article: Conversations with Aakash Kishore, PhD
Kishore serves on the Psychology Training Committee, VA Portland Health Care system hospital’s Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) advisory group.
By Josh Rinker, PsyD, and Aakash Kishore, PhD
- Supporting veterans of color: race-based stress, trauma, and empowerment (RBSTE) group
RBSTE group serves as a model of VA innovation in providing culturally affirming, patient-centered care.
By Asale Hubbard, PhD, Keisha Ross, PhD, Maurice Endsley, PhD, Marva Robinson, PhD, Veronica Shead, PhD, Clarice Wang, PhD, Malinda Trujillo, PhD, Juliette McClendon, PhD, and Sam Wan, PhD
- Protests, police brutality, and pandemic health disparities
How we can talk about racism at the VA and why it’s important.
By Sarah Roane, PhD
- Profiles in leadership: VA psychologists’ call to action during the COVID-19 pandemic
This article profiles four psychologists who led efforts to increase health care access.
By Tiffanie Fennell, PhD, ABPP
- Lessons learned from a service-wide transition to tele mental health
We have overcome challenges, made mistakes, and learned a great deal.
By Maryke Harrison, PhD, Kristi Haney Chambers, MS, Michael Drexler, PhD, Alixandra Lyon-Bramhall, PsyD, and John McQuaid, PhD
- Meeting needs in the moment: publicly available mobile mental health apps and online programs
These self-care tools can be used either independently or in conjunction with mental health care.
By Margaret-Anne Mackintosh, PhD, Katherine Juhasz, MS, Andrea L. Jamison, PhD, Carolyn J. Greene, PhD, and Pearl McGee-Vincent, PsyD
- Choosing career paths: military psychologist or VA psychologist?
Two graduate students discuss careers and their decision-making process.
By Rachel N. Ward and Abbie J. Brady, MS