In this issue
Div. 20 awards
By Karen Hooker, PhD
We are pleased to announce that the following awards were presented at the APA 2018 meeting:
- Baltes Distinguished Research Achievement Award: Karen Rook, PhD, Professor, University of California-Irvine
- The M. Powell Lawton Distinguished Contribution Award for Applied Gerontology: Dolores Gallagher Thompson, PhD, and Larry Thompson, PhD, Professors, Stanford University
- Mentorship Award in Aging: Elizabeth A.L. Stine-Morrow, PhD, Professor, University of Illinois
- Student and Postdoctoral Research Awards, previously known as Student Travel Awards:
Graduate Student Award
Yijung Kim, MS, University of Massachusetts, Boston, “Grow old with me: Understanding discrepancies in married couples’ subjective aging experiences” (Mentor: Kathrin Boerner, PhD)
Jennifer Bellingtier, PhD, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, “Feeling young and in control: Daily control beliefs predict younger subjective ages” (Mentor: Michaela Riediger, PhD)
- The Walter G. McMillen Memorial Award for Parkinson’s Disease Research: Bonnie M. Scott, MS, University of Florida, “Neurophysiology of motivational disorders in Parkinson’s disease” (Mentor: Dawn Bowers, PhD)
- Doctoral Dissertation Award in the Psychology of Aging: Nadia Brashier, PhD, Duke University, “Heuristics for truth across the lifespan” (Mentor: Elizabeth Marsh, PhD)
- The Springer Early Career Achievement Award in Research on Adult Development and Aging: Gloria Luong, PhD, Assistant Professor, Colorado State University
Congratulations to all. Thank you to those who took the time to nominate your colleagues and also to the committee members who participated in the selection process for each award.
The upcoming deadlines for the undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral student awards are Dec. 1, 2018. The deadlines for several of the career awards are March 15, 2019. Please see the Div. 20 awards pages for complete information on eligibility, how to apply and deadlines.