Members of Div. 28 are those who have an interest in the area of drugs and behavior. Our membership includes psychologists in a wide range of settings, including universities and four-year colleges, medical schools, hospitals, government, industry and private practice. Three primary concerns of Div. 28 are:
- Disseminating research-based information on psychopharmacology and substance abuse.
- Encouraging the application of these results.
- Considering related education and policy issues.
Membership in APA is encouraged but not required.To learn more about membership, please read the welcome message from our membership chair. If you are already a member and seeking to nominate yourself or a colleague to become a fellow in our division, please learn more about the nomination process in this message from our fellows chair.
- Member. To be a member, you must belong to APA under the category of member. All requirements to be an APA member must be met, including having a doctoral degree in psychology. Those interested in joining the division who are not members of APA should join as professional affiliates.
- Professional Affiliates. Affiliates have a doctoral degree in psychology but do not belong to APA.
- Associate To be an associate, you must belong to APA under the category of associate. All requirements to be an APA Associate must be met, including having a master's degree or two years of graduate study in psychology or a related field at a regionally accredited institution. Associates may not hold executive office in the division, but they may serve in appointed positions.; after five years of associate status, individuals may vote in division elections.
- Student Affiliates. Student affiliates are students of psychology, graduate or undergraduate, and have a professional interest in the area of drugs and behavior. Membership in APAGS (APA's Graduate Student Organization) is encouraged but not required.
- Life Status. Members of APA who have reached life status and are exempt from paying APA dues are also life status of members of the division. As such, they do not pay division dues but are afforded all the privileges of a member.
- Corporate Affiliate Member. Div. 28 offers many benefits to Corporate Affiliate Members.