Annual Mid-Year Conference
The annual meeting of Div. 36 (the Society for the Psychology of Religion and Spirituality) provides a supportive academic forum where professionals discuss the latest research findings and advances in the psychology of religion and spirituality. Within Div. 36, this conference has traditionally been referred to as the mid-year conference.
2020 Mid-Year Conference
Save the date:
March 13-14, 2020
University of Colorado Denver
1200 Larimer St.
Denver, CO 80204
2019 Mid-Year Conference
Date and Location:
- Fri.-Sat., April 5-6, 2019
- Bowling Green State University
- Bowling Green, Ohio
- Society for the Psychology of Religion and Spirituality (SPRS)
- Bowling Green State University
- The John Templeton Foundation
2019 Conference Consolidated Program
2019 Conference Highlights
Invited keynote addresses:
- Advancing the Psychology of Religiousness and Spirituality: How Can a Meaning Perspective Contribute? (1 hour)
Crystal Park, PhD, University of Connecticut
- Spiritual Struggles and Supernatural Attributions: A Relational Perspective (1 hour)
Julie Exline, PhD, Case Western Reserve University
Invited Clinical Workshop (3 hours):
- Advances in Spiritually Integrated Psychotherapy: Understanding and Addressing Spiritual Struggles
Kenneth I. Pargament, PhD, Bowling Green State University
Invited Research Toolkit Presentations (1 hour each)
- Funding Opportunities with the John Templeton Foundation: 2019 - 2023 Strategic Priorities
Nicholas Gibson, PhD, John Templeton Foundation
- Replication and Open Science in the Scientific Study of Religion and Methodology
Michiel van Elk, PhD, University of Amsterdam
- Tackling Methods in the Psychology of Religion
Will M. Gervais, PhD, University of Kentucky
Invited Presentations-Relational Spirituality Theme
Solo talks (30 minutes each)
- Chris Boyatzis, PhD, Christian by Birth, Secular in Life: Danish Mothers' Views of Religion in Family Life in Denmark.
- Gina Brelsford, PhD, Parents' Spiritual Struggles and Mental Health Following a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Experience
- Chana Etengoff, PhD, LGBTQ Religious and Spiritual Experiences: Context, Intersectionality and Mental Health
- Frank Fincham, PhD, Divine Forgiveness and Interpersonal Forgiveness: A Symbiotic Relationship?
- Richard Petts, PhD, Paternity Leave, Father Involvement and Parental Conflict: The Moderating Role of Religious Participation
- Rebekah Richert, PhD, Is God Real? Predictors of Stability and Change in Early Childhood Conceptions of God's Reality Status
- Amy Wachholtz, PhD, God Save Me…Maybe?: Patients’ Relationship with their Higher Power during Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder and Chronic Pain
Chaired symposium (1 hour each)
- Mike Goodman, PhD (chair), with co-chairs Justin Dyer, PhD, and Mark Ogletree, PhD
Symposium title: Longitudinal Relational Research - Lessons Learned from the Family Foundations of Youth Development Project
- Annette Mahoney, PhD (chair)
Symposium title: Diving into New Details about Relational Spirituality: Friendships, Hook-up and Verbally Abusive Parents of Emerging Adults
- Jennifer Ripley, PhD (chair)
Symposium title: Intimate Partners and Religion: The Role of Religion and the Sacred in Relationship Functioning
- Sarah Schneider, PhD (chair), with co-chairs Janet Carter, MDiv, and Diana Ro, PsyD
Symposium title: Spirituality, Religiousness and Virtues in Psychiatric Inpatients: Research Findings, Clinical Applications and Chaplain Perspectives
- All program events, both days.
- The Ohio Psychological Association, which is an APA-approved sponsor of Continuing Professional Education, has approved all of the invited presentations highlighted above for Continuing Education (CE) Hours for Ohio psychologists. Other attendees should check with their license boards on transferability of these CEs. More detailed descriptions of CE hours are available on the Invited Presentation CE list (PDF, 89KB). Participants may earn up to 14 CEs.
- Deluxe continental breakfasts on Friday and Saturday mornings, a late afternoon reception with hors d'oeuvres and cash bar on Friday, as well as a mid-afternoon snack on Saturday, and closing reception late Saturday afternoon.
Registration fees are due by March 22:
- Standard registration: $165
- Guest/spouse attendee registration: $120
- Graduate student registration: $60
- Undergraduate registration (limited number of spaces): $40
For questions about registration, contact Program Co-chair Annette Mahoney (email).
Travel and Hotel Information
- Detroit Metro-Willow Run Airport (DTW) is located about 70 miles north. There are two terminals. McNamara Terminal services most international flights and Delta Air Lines. The North Terminal services all other domestic airlines.
- Toledo Express Airport is located about 35 miles northwest and services Allegiant and American Airlines flights.
- Fairfield Inn Marriott at 1544 E. Wooster St., Bowling Green, Ohio. Telephone: (419) 352-0033. Book by March 4, 2019, to receive a special $99 rate for a double queen/king room (plus applicable tax).
- Hampton Inn at 142 Campbell Hill Rd., Bowling Green, Ohio. Telephone: (419) 353-3464. Book by March 7, 2019, to receive a special $95 rate for a double queen/king room (plus applicable tax).
- Holiday Inn Express at 2150 Wooster St., Bowling Green, Ohio. Telephone: (419) 353-5500. Book by March 4, 2019, to receive special rates for a double queen/king room (plus applicable tax).
- Best Western Falcon Plaza at 1450 E. Wooster St., Bowling Green, Ohio. Telephone: (419) 352-4671. Book by March 6, 2019, to receive a special $75.99-85.99 rate (plus applicable tax).
Travel to and from the airports:
2018 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 125KB)
2017 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 147KB)
2016 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 7.8MB)
2015 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 847KB)
2014 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 1.1MB)
2013 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 1.42MB)
2012 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 1.9MB)
2011 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 1.7MB)
2010 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 1.4MB)
2009 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 1.2MB)
2008 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 446KB)
2007 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 442KB)
2006 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 816KB)
2005 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 595KB)
2004 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 643KB)
2003 Midyear Conference Program (PDF, 125KB)