Division 44 Newsletter
A newsletter of Div. 44
December 2018 |Vol. 33, No. 2
2018-19 Presidential Agenda
The bottom line on federal sexual identity or gender identity data collection is this: If we are not counted, we do not count.
Public Policy Outlook
- The Impact of the 2018 Elections on Advancing LGBTQ Equality at the Federal and State Level
An expert view on what lies ahead for LGBTQ public policy.
By Laura E. Durso, PhD
Notable Awards and Honors
- Laura S. Brown Selected by Div. 44 to Be Honored as a National Multicultural Conference and Summit Elder
Read about Laura S. Brown's pioneering work and contributions to LGBTQ and feminist psychology.
By David Pantalone, PhD
- Div. 44 Members Garner 10 Percent of APA Citizen Psychologist Citations
APA President Jessica Henderson Daniel awards presidential citations to Div. 44 members for their outstanding work within their communities.
By Michael L Hendricks, PhD, ABPP
- Div. 44 Fellows Introduced at the 2018 APA Convention in San Francisco
Learn about the unusual and outstanding contributions made to the field by new Div. 44 fellows.
By Glenda Russell , PhD
- Highlights from the Div. 44 Awards Ceremony at the 126th APA Annual Convention
Read about the 2018 recipients from Div. 44’s Awards Ceremony at the 126th Annual APA Convention.
Leadership and Committee Initiatives
- Introducing the New President-Elect
Meet Gary Howell and learn about his motivation to serve the division.
By Gary Howell, PsyD
- Being Bi in Psychology: The Importance of Visibility and Validation
The Bisexual Issue Committee surveyed community members on their experiences.
By Melissa Manley
- Toward a Thriving Generation: Plans for a Pre-Convention Workshop
Interdivisional project to create an agenda for LGBTQ youth and emerging adults.
By Richard A. Sprott, PhD
- Community of Students Report
The Div. 44 Student Representative Trio of Rebekah Estevez, Halleh Hashtpari and Jacks Cheng provides an update on the newly minted Community of Students (CoS) Leadership Team.
- Committee Reports
Current committee and task force activities and opportunities to get involved.
Membership Highlights and Reflections
- Chosen Family: Fostering Connection Away from Home
A thoughtful reflection from a student member on chosen family.
By Cole Milton
- Membership Corner: Tangela Roberts, PhD, and Jenna Brownfield
Highlighting our members and their amazing work.
By Nick Grant, PhD
- LGBT Health Policy and Practice Program
Learn about the development of this program and how to get involved.
By Stephen L. Forssell, PhD