Our mission is to advance the science of psychology in the research, use and development of media and technology.
The society is a community of psychologists and other professionals working across multiple disciplines and industries, including consultants, technology developers, educators, communications professionals, mental health practitioners, medical professionals and researchers who focus on some aspect of media and technology.
The society also strives to encourage and expand public knowledge through accurate dissemination of information about the impact of the media and technology on human behavior and through the development of media and technological literacy programs essential to participating fully in a digital society.
The division's objectives are to:
- Support research that enhances the understanding of the impact of media and technology and their effectiveness to transmit information, create social connection and influence behavior
- Develop a community for the discussion and development of theoretical frameworks for the study and practice of media psychology
- Support the development and use of positive and prosocial media and technologies
- Encourage the ethical use of technology across all domains, from education and healthcare to marketing practices
- Support efforts to encourage the public and educators to integrate technological literacy and digital citizenship
- Facilitate the interaction between psychology and media representatives to encourage a fair and accurate representation of the science and practice of psychology and encourage the effective and ethical uses of media to inform the public about the science and profession of psychology and the impact of media and technology on individuals and society
- Enrich and encourage the teaching, training, and practice of media psychology
- Encourage adherence to APA ethical standards and guidelines in the use of media. The division has liaisons with the APA Education, Practice, Science and Public Interest Directorates.