The Div. 49 president provides an overview of the latest board meeting and the division’s plans and progress for 2021.
- Div. 49 standing committees
The Div. 49 newsletter recognizes the leadership of the division.
- Div. 49 candidates
Statements from candidates for president-elect and education/training representative
Moving beyond Yalom
- A seminar curriculum breaking down major group theories
I will break down some of the major theories to their essentials with a few core concepts and unique interventions used with the intention of providing an enticing glimpse of the value each modality could hold for training sites.
- Surviving the pandemic
Clinical hour: One of the most important tools clinicians have available seems to be more under attack than at any other time in memory. I speak of the critical importance of teaching, promoting, and enforcing boundaries.
By Tevya Zukor, PhD
- Early Career Psychologist column
Please join us for this informal community discussion on the way power and privilege manifests itself in groups.
By Misha Bogomaz, PsyD
- Psychodramatic group therapy celebrates its 100th birthday: A parallel process with our current socio-political experience
In this latest Experiential Column series, Scott Giacomucci, DSW, LCSW, CTTS, CET III, PAT, discusses the relevance of psychodrama and sociodrama in therapy and their relationship to real world events and healing.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
Div. 49’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee introduces its new initiatives and vice chair.
By Eric C. Chen, PhD, and Aziza Platt, PhD
Group Specialty update
- Group Specialty Council update: February 2021
The Council is making significant progress on its main objectives of promoting group as a specialty in training programs and ensuring renewal of specialty status.
- Group dynamics in a virtual age
Virtual groups: It is crucial that as groups members, and as group leaders, that we explore the different dynamics of an in-person group and a virtual group.
By Stacia McCahan
- Benefits of virtual psychotherapy groups for students during COVID-19
Virtual groups: Virtual psychotherapy groups can serve as support systems for students during these difficult times while also adhering to safety regulations.
By Rita M. Rivera, BS
- Loneliness and the importance of meaningful connection in a worldwide pandemic
Virtual groups: The importance of group therapy, and therapy in general, during this pandemic cannot go unspoken.
By Victoria Jacobs
- 2021 Summer meeting minutes (PDF, 191KB)
Post-convention updates and notes
- Treasurer’s report on the 2021 budget
The Div. 49 budget is strong, with some minor changes from 2020.
- Book review of Group Psychodynamic-Interpersonal Psychotherapy: Integrating Theory and Practice
Cheri L. Marmarosh, PhD, reviews a new book that integrates interpersonal and dynamic theory and provides examples and evidence for a clinical approach.
Special issue: Groups in a dangerous time: Virtual work and therapy in the COVID-19 era
- Group-level resistance to health mandates during the COVID-19 pandemic: A groupthink approach
Donelson R. Forsyth, PhD, is honored with the journal’s Most Valuable Paper of 2020.
Special issue of Group Dynamics
- Group therapy alliance rupture and repair
The March 2021 issue of the Div. 49 journal will feature six articles on alliance rupture and repair.
APA Council of Representatives
- Richard Moreland Dissertation Award
Call for nominations
Div. 49 Student Committee web series
- Div. 49 Student Committee web series
Welcome to Group Gab. This space for students by students will encourage connection and learning.
- Statement from the Div. 49 Board of Directors
Statement on riots in Washington DC, issued by the Div. 49 Board on January 11, 2021