Martyn Whittingham discusses the consequences of group’s recognition as a specialty and how specific group training is essential.
- President-elect’s column: Back to the basics
Cheri Marmarosh explains how to take advantage of the momentum building around the field of group psychology.
By Cheri L. Marmarosh
- Editor’s Column: Reviewers for The Group Psychologist
The editors of The Group Psychologist highlight the importance of sharing knowledge and invite members of Div. 49 to share their wisdom in articles as well as letters for future issues.
By Thomas Treadwell, EdD, and Leann Terry Diederich
2019 APA Convention
- Div. 49 programming announcement
Join us in Chicago for the 2019 APA Convention.
- Div. 49 Convention Program Committee report: Div. 49 APA Program due dates
Updates for program chair announcements for the The Group Psychologist.
By Debra O’Connell
- Group psychotherapy column
By Tevya Zukor, PhD
- Training and education column
Insights on training and education: We have come so far.
By Joshua M. Gross, PhD, ABPP
- Early career psychologist column
Community Conversation Hours
By Misha Bogomaz, PsyD
- On Respect
Misha Bogomaz again invites readers to contemplate the meaning of the term “respect.”
By Misha Bogomaz, PsyD
- A response to the question of respect
Is it enough to respect someone for being a human being? What do we require of others in order to respect them? Social norms might have a different take on respect than we do as individuals.
By Noelia A. Ysern Solá, MA, MS
- Prevention corner: Preventing discrimination in postsecondary schools and the workplace
Examining the need to consider diversity in both postsecondary schools and the workplace in order to prevent bullying, as well as discriminatory practices.
By Shana Ingram, BA
- Mid-winter meeting
The Div. 49 mid-winter meeting of the board discussed the recognition of group as a specialty, the division’s budget, committee and journal reports, as well as other division business.
By Joe Miles
- Treasurers Report
Div. 49 Treasurer Amy Nitza, PhD, discusses the division’s financial position in 2018 and going into 2019.
APA Council Report
Items of Interest
- American Board of Professional Psychology
Misha Bogomaz informs members of career awards offered by ABPP.
- Social Justice Special Issue of GROUP
Christine Schmidt describes an upcoming special issue of the journal focused on how group psychologists can contribute to discussions around protecting the rights and safety of all peoples.
- Special Issue on the Migration Crisis in the U.S.: The International Journal of Group Psychotherapy
Robert H. Klein, PhD, discusses a journal special issue on how migration crises exist today worldwide.
Call for paper
- Special Issue in Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology
Guest editors of the issue Maryam Kia-Keating, PhD, and Linda Juang, PhD, discuss collaborative and participatory research to promote engagement, empowerment and resilience for immigrant and refugee youth, families and communities.
Editor Search GROUP
- GROUP Journal Editor
Erica Gardner-Schuster, PhD, discusses the search for the next editor of Eastern Group Psychotherapy’s journal.