Society for Sport, Exercise & Performance Psychology Student and Early Career Professional Travel Award
This award provides scholarships intended to increase Div. 47 member participation at the APA Annual Convention.
All graduate students and ECPs (i.e., practicing less than 10 years) currently enrolled in a sport, exercise or performance psychology (SEPP) program, or conducting research or practice in SEPP are eligible to apply for this award.
Applicants must be current members of APA Div. 47. Consideration will be given to those applicants who demonstrate the following:
- Leadership experience
- Conference attendance, presentations and symposiums
- Applied work
- Public service and community activities
Applicants must complete and submit all applications by the annual deadline of May 1. Applications can be submitted via email to the past president, who chairs the Awards Committee.
What are the application requirements?
Interested students/ECPs will need to submit an application that includes the following:
- Cover letter. In a one-page single-spaced cover letter, please describe your training (e.g., first year master’s student in SEPP, clinical psychologist teaching for four years, etc.), current research or applied work, professional goals, presentation(s) during the conference, how attending the conference will help enhance professional development towards the research and practice of sport, exercise and performance psychology, and/or financial need. In your signature, please also include the following contact information: name, address, phone, email and APA member number.
- Letter of reference. A letter of reference from the student’s advisor/supervisor or ECP’s faculty mentor or colleague who can verify enrollment, research or applied work in SEPP, provide a general reference about the applicant, and the applicant’s commitment and potential for advancing sport, exercise and performance psychology.
- Curriculum vitae. An abbreviated two-page curriculum vitae that highlights the applicants most recent work and research or practice most relevant to sport, exercise and performance psychology.
How is my application evaluated?
Application materials will be evaluated by the Awards Committee chaired by the past president of APA Div. 47 based on merit of the application letter and applicant’s overall potential for advancing the field of sport, exercise and performance psychology.
How will I be notified?
Applicants will be notified via email regarding status of their application. All applicants will be notified of selection decisions by early to mid-June.
What are the conditions of award recipients?
Accepting the travel award commits award recipients to attending the APA Annual Convention. The award will be based on following commitment by each awardee:
- Awardee will be required to attend the Div. 47 business meeting.
- Awardee will attend the Div. 47 speed mentoring session and receive recognition at the event (students only).
Please email the Past President, Courtney Albinson, PhD, who chairs the Awards Committee, with any questions.