- The group therapist: Parallels of group work and Olympic competition
The parallels between group work and Olympic competition is clear, especially for of us who work in college environments, where our day-to-day clients share many demographics with Olympic athletes, not the least of which is age, if not necessarily athletic prowess.
- Experiential Column: Treatment for anxiety and action methods
Psychodrama appears to be a promisingly effective treatment for anxiety disorders and can be particularly useful in reducing fear and anxiety.
- Emotional awareness: Bonding the binaries of our emotions and self in group therapy
My purpose is to shift from the concrete, asocial view of the self (e.g., individualism) into a fluid, collectivistic systems-centered view of the self with compassion, curiosity, and acceptance.
- The group therapist: Returning to in-person group therapy?
The global pandemic has not done the mental health world any favors. Many students elected not to seek counseling when the pandemic was at its worst; instead struggling through the isolation, loneliness and deep depressions with little to no support. Now that most universities have once again opened for business and many counseling centers have been able to re-engage with in-person treatment, the students have lined up at the doors like never before.
- Cultural awareness—color blind
Raising awareness and honoring the sociocultural transference threads throughout group therapy.
- University Counseling Centers Exploratory Survey findings
This article summarizes the main findings from the recent article by this author: “A Survey of Group Coordinators in College and University Counseling Centers: Findings and Recommendations” published in volume 71 of the International Journal of Group Psychotherapy.
- Experiential column: When talking isn’t enough
Action methods in addiction and trauma recovery.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Committee update
Honoring the 2021 winner and honorable mention of the Student Award for Outstanding Contribution to Diversity.
- The Group Psychologist
The newsletter of the division, The Group Psychologist, is available online
- American Board of Professional Psychology Early Career Awards
Opportunities to nominate individuals who have made notable contributions.
- Publications News
Updates related to the Div. 49 journal and other resources involving group psychology and group psychotherapy.
News & Events
128th APA Annual Convention
Aug. 6-9, 2020