Resources for Early Career Psychologists
General Career Resources for Early Career Psychologists
Policy-Related Fellowships in Social and Behavioral Science
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- American Psychological Association Congressional Fellowship (APA)
- American Psychological Association Executive Branch Science Fellowship (APA)
- American Psychological Association Jaquelin Goldman Congressional Fellowship (APA)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD)
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI)
Resources for Early Career Psychologist in Clinical Practice
- Information about referrals—use other email lists or monitor the ECP yahoo group
- A Guidebook for Starting and Operating an Independent Practice in Psychology (PDF, 257KB)
- Running start…to a great career: Insurers
- How to Get On Insurance Panels as a Preferred Provider—Part 1
- Transitioning into Practice
- Malpractice Insurance 101: Claims-made vs. occurrence coverage
- Malpractice & Licensing Pitfalls for Therapists: A Defense Attorney's List
- APA Office of Continuing Education in Psychology
- DiLillo, D., DeGue, S., Cohen, L. M., & Morgan, R. D. (2006). The path to licensure for academic psychologists: How tough is the road? (PDF, 95KB) Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 5, 567-586.
Salary Data and Negotiation Tools
APA's Early Career Psychologist Committee provides information on popular data sources and skill development tools available to early career psychologists
Negotiating a Faculty Job Offer
APA's Center for Learning and Career Development presents an interactive online program on five critical steps on negotiating a job offer to work as a professor.
How to Get The Salary Package You Really Need
The APA's Monitor on Psychology has an article on salary negotiation for people in academia.
Slate's Negotiation Academy
Slate Magazine has a 10-part podcast on salary negotiation for people in all kinds of fields.
Div. 37 Early Career Psychologist Awards
To join the Early Career Psychologists (ECP) email list, or if you have questions or comments regarding ECP resources, please contact the member-at-large for early career professionals.