Resources for Early Career Psychologists
General Career Resources for Early Career Psychologists
Policy-Related Fellowships in Social and Behavioral Science
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- American Psychological Association Congressional Fellowship (APA)
- American Psychological Association Executive Branch Science Fellowship (APA)
- American Psychological Association Jaquelin Goldman Congressional Fellowship (APA)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD)
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI)
Resources for Early Career Psychologist in Clinical Practice
- Information about referrals – use other email lists or monitor the ECP yahoo group
- A Guidebook for Starting and Operating an Independent Practice in Psychology (PDF, 257KB)
- Running start…to a great career: Insurers
- How to Get On Insurance Panels as a Preferred Provider – Part 1
- APA's Resources for ECPs starting to practice
- Malpractice Insurance 101: Claims-made vs. occurrence coverage
- Malpractice & Licensing Pitfalls for Therapists: A Defense Attorney's List
- APA Office of Continuing Education in Psychology
- DiLillo, D., DeGue, S., Cohen, L. M., & Morgan, R. D. (2006). The path to licensure for academic psychologists: How tough is the road? (PDF, 95KB) Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 5, 567-586.
Negotiating Skills to Help You Thrive in Your Next Job (PDF, 415KB)
Kate Brown, PhD, past chair of APA's Committee for the Advancement of Professional Practice, share slides for a skill-based way to approach salary negotiation, regardless of the job.
Negotiating a Faculty Job Offer
APA's Center for Learning and Career Development presents an interactive online program on five critical steps on negotiating a job offer to work as a professor.
How to Get The Salary Package You Really Need
The APA's Monitor on Psychology has an article on salary negotiation for people in academia.
Slate's Negotiation Academy
Slate Magazine has a 10-part podcast on salary negotiation for people in all kinds of fields.
Div. 37 Early Career Psychologist Awards
Div. 37 Committee for Early Career Psychologists
- Paul Shawler (chair), Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Elizabeth Ahern, University of Cambridge
- Cheryl Arndt, KidsPeace
- Sarah Cleary, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- Angelique Day, University of Washington
- Kristi Geissler, Oceanside School District
- Helen Masland Milojevich, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Sonia Rubens, Santa Clara University
- Rebecca Kanine, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Jennifer Lovell, Cal State Monterey Bay
To join the ECP email list or if you have questions or concerns about the ECP Committee, please contact Paul Shawler.