The Group Psychologist: Google Analytics Report of Spring Issue 2019
Div. 49 Newsletter Summary
This report recaps the number of users who viewed specific pages, that is, total number of pages viewed one or more times; the number of unique page views, that is, a unique page view represents the number of sessions during which that page was viewed one or more times; and average amount of time that users spend on each page.
Within the period of March 25, 2019, through May 25, 2019, the Div. 49 newsletter section as a whole has received a total of 24,800 page views, with 17,745 unique page views. Users in this period have typically spent an average time of 44 seconds on Div. 49 newsletter web pages.
Most-viewed overall pages
The most-viewed pages of the Div. 49 newsletter section for this period are the following articles:
- “Semi-structured termination exercises,” which received 8,382 pageviews and 5,375 unique page views with users spending an average of one minute and seven seconds on the page.
- “Procedures and guidelines for group therapy,” which received 4,613 pageviews and 2,966 unique page views with users spending an average of one minute and eight seconds on the page.
- “Intimate partner violence: A group cognitive-behavioral therapy model,” which received 1,863 page views and 1,168 unique page views with users spending an average of one minute and 29 seconds on the page.
These three pages consistently rank in the most-viewed pages both within the Div. 49 newsletter section as well as within the Div. 49 website as a whole.
Google Analytics for Spring 2019 newsletter issue pages
Of the Spring 2019 newsletter issue, the most-viewed articles, have been:
- “Group Psychotherapy Column: Cheers,” which received 282 page views and 169 unique page views, with users spending an average of one minute and 24 seconds on the page.
- “Prevention Corner: Preventing discrimination in postsecondary schools and the workplace,” which received 106 page views and 61 unique page views, with users spending an average of one minute and 56 seconds on the page.
- “A Response to the Question of Respect,” which received 41 page views and 35 unique page views, with users spending an average of one minute and 10 seconds on the page. This represents the Early Career Column Addressing Respect and a student responding to the question of respect.
To sum up, visitors are spending a lengthy amount of time that users spend on these pages which speaks to their strong content. Visitors to the most-viewed Spring 2019 newsletter pages are taking the time to read the content of the pages and engage with the pages, rather than clicking to the articles and then almost immediately leaving them. That visitors are spending over a minute, sometimes two minutes, on the pages indicates that readers are finding the content of the articles useful and engaging.
Given the high number of visitors to the Div. 49 newsletter who are directed there organically, that is, by search engines, as well as the high number of outside sites that link to the Div. 49 newsletter, the newsletter appears to have strong search engine optimization. That is, the algorithms that rank and display search results for search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo, have recognized the Div. 49 newsletter pages as relevant to search results and are more likely to direct users to those pages. The large number of university-affiliated sites and APA-affiliated sites that link to the Div. 49 newsletter pages also speaks to the newsletter’s usefulness as a resource to students, academics and APA members.
Tom Treadwell, EdD, TEP, CGP
Leann Terry Diederich, PhD